Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Cooking With My Hubby

Yesterday was, of course, Valentine's Day. My husband, who is well known to my friends as a "manly man", is also a stay at home dad. My gift to him yesterday was a cookbook. Not just ANY cookbook, but Julia Child's (et al.) "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".  I love the irony that this cookbook was targeted at 'stay at home moms' when it was published.

Now, some may say that this gift is paramount to giving him a vaccum cleaner, which would be accurate if he hadn't specifically asked for the cookbook by name.

Truly, neither of us are the type to swoon over Valentine's Day or to give gifts.  In fact, we are more likely to forget to pick up a card and, in doing so, exchange our cards a day late.  This has advantages.  Cards are much cheaper the day after the holiday.

Therefore, considering that he specifically requested the cookbook, I made an effort to deliver it on time.  I was successful with the book yesterday but, as per my past pattern, I sheepishly delivered a mushy card to him today. I should have bought the card at the same time as I bought the book...it's embarrasing. I tried to put a positive spin it with the idea that he's my Valentine every day...not just on February 14th.  Lame, I know.

I must say that this gift turned out much better than I had expected.  Although I know he'll take some flack from his "paintball" buddies about the gift, he really liked it. Last night, for the first time that I can remember, we cooked a meal together (stuffed boneless leg of lamb with roasted potatoes and braised carrots).  We had some trouble with our meat thermometer and the meat was a bit over-cooked, but we had a blast testing the new cookbook and working together on the meal.  Oddly, it was rather romantic.  Way to go Julia...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home